This GoT inspired pie is stuffed with rich flavour, and despite the name – no human body parts. It’s so delicious that even Hot Pie would approve!
• 250g thick cut bacon cut into slices
• 900g chicken cut into cubes
• Salt, pepper, and savoury herbs to taste
• 3 tbsp of butter
• 170g Chopped carrots
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 parsnip, chopped
• 250g mushrooms
• 300ml beef stock
• 300ml beer
• 3 tbsp plain flour
• 525g plain flour
• 120g unsalted butter
• Hefty pinch of salt
• 2 eggs
• Variable water or milk, add gradually to bind the pastry together
- Preheat oven to 200oC
- In a large frying pan, cook your cubed chicken over a medium heat until it’s golden brown and cooked through. Set aside in a large bowl, and leave any fat in the pan.
- Add the sliced bacon and cook until each piece is browned. Remove the meat to the same bowl as the chicken and set to one side.
- In the same pan melt 3 tbsp butter before adding your carrots, parsnips, onions and mushrooms. Let them cook gently before adding a splash of stock and a pinch of salt. Cover and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes until the veg softens.
- Once cooked, pour everything into the large bowl with the meat.
- In the pan, melt the remaining 3 tbsp of butter and add the flour, stirring until it’s golden in colour. While gently stirring, gradually pour in some of the broth from the vegetable mix before adding beer and more broth until you have a nice, thick sauce.
- Pour the rest of the meat and vegetables back into the pan and let everything cook nicely until the whole mixture is thickened.
- Finally, remove your pan from the heat and allow everything to cool.
- To get your pastry dough started, combine the flour and salt, before rubbing the butter into the mix. Stir in the egg and add just enough liquid to bring the dough together without making it too wet.
- Divide the dough into two pieces, one slightly larger than the other. Roll out the larger piece of dough to about 1/8” thick.
- Carefully drape this over your pie pan and fill with the cooled meat filling.
- Roll out the remaining dough and cover the top for the lid. Trim the excess dough around the edges and crimp them down. Decorate and brush with egg to glaze.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, or until the crust is just golden. Next, brush the pie with remaining egg wash and return to the oven for another 10 minutes then remove.
- Allow to cool and rest for 10-15 minutes before digging in.